It was a Friday night, August 23, 1871, when several families came together to talk about starting a church in the Fortville area. The next day, N.A. Walker, an elder from a church in Indianapolis met with the group. They decided to have an evangelistic meeting at the Levi Thomas Grove, to begin the very next day and run for two weeks. At the end of two weeks, the church had a membership of 45 believers.
The first minister was J.W. Ferrell. He served for several years and helped organize the Sunday School program in 1872.
This very young church decided they needed a church building. The entire community came together and helped frame a structure, which cost $1,400. It was completed and dedicated on the 3rd Sunday in June, 1872.
By 1900 the membership had increased and there was a need for a larger building. The brick church building at 10 W. Church Street was constructed. Continual growth made it necessary to add on in 1926, 1943 and 1959.
In 1966, Mary Rushton and her family donated six acres of land from a field about one mile south of Fortville in memory of Frank M. Rushton. A new 22,000 sq. ft. church building was constructed for $250,000. Services began in the new building on New Years Day, 1967. Gilbert Schrieber was the Sr. Minister at that time. Major remodeling and the addition of children’s classrooms and offices took place in 2000 at the cost of $1,600,000. Pat Mooney was the Senior Minister at that time.
Today, Fortville Christian Church continues to seek God’s blessings and direction for growth. May we continue to be faithful to Him as the history of FCC is written.